Friday, March 15, 2013

Seeing is Believing

“WOW!” The power of ultrasounds

By Dave Andrusko
Lisa Ling talks about her vibrant and energetic unborn baby girl which prompted this response from Anderson Cooper.
Lisa Ling talks about her vibrant and energetic unborn baby girl which prompted this response from Anderson Cooper.

If you wanted the perfect illustration of “soft power,” I’d offer a video I stumbled across. It’s from 2012 and is only a couple of minutes long. After a short introduction by host Anderson Cooper television personality Lisa Ling [a correspondent for CNN and the Oprah Winfrey Show] announced on the “Anderson Live” show that she was pregnant. (“Anderson Live” has since been cancelled.)
Cooper and Ling have been friends for many years, so she made sure he got the “scoop” that she and her husband Paul Song were expecting a baby girl.

But what made the moment so illustrative of the power of ultrasounds were Cooper’s comments. He seemed genuinely amazed, almost overcome by what he saw.
The mood between the two old friends was lighthearted. “I was trying to keep it quiet for a long time, but now I’m starting to get to the point where it looks like I’m have this big beer belly,” Ling joked. All of a sudden in the background the audience saw this huge picture of Ling’s sonogram.
“Wow, that’s the baby?” Cooper exclaims.
“Look at this ultrasound!” Ling responds excitedly. “This is my crazy baby jumping around in my stomach. This was…”

“Wow,” Cooper interjects in amazement. “The baby’s literally jumping!”
Ling went on to explain that “Every time I show this, people are astounded. They cannot believe this is actually happening.” [Cooper adds, “I’ve never seen that!”]
Ling continued, “I was so terrified I called the doctor, and I’m like, ‘Are you sure it’s normal?’”
Making the announcement all the more powerful was that Ling suffered a heartbreaking miscarriage two years ago.
If you have time, be sure to go to http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2222598/Lisa-Ling-reveals-shes-pregnant-girl-years-heart-breaking-miscarriage.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

No comments: