Monday, June 8, 2009

China & Pigs

Chinese scientist have given cells, from adult pigs, the ability to turn into any tissue in the body, just like embryonic stem cells. Why, you ask? They hope, this breakthrough, could aid in the breeding of animals for organ transplants for humans. It may also enable the development of pigs that are resistant to diseases, such as swine flu.

Sounds suspicious to me. But then, most things from China sound suspicious to me. Is this breakthrough experimental? Are we achieving a medical good by animal/human transplant organs? I am well aware, that we use pig valves in human open heart surgical valve replacement, and have for many years. But, that's a valve, not an organ.

I would like further documentation before I would say we've eliminated swine flu.

No comments: