Monday, February 24, 2014

Beautiful


 

A father’s powerful, heartfelt letter to the unborn son his family had lost



By Dave Andrusko
Shayne Lamas-Richie and husband Nik Richie
Shayne Lamas-Richie and husband Nik Richie

It was about as bad as things could possibly get. Shayne Lamas-Richie, 16 weeks pregnant with her second child, is rushed to the hospital February 9, suffering from internal bleeding around her uterus.
Lamas, known for her appearance on The Bachelor, has an emergency hysterectomy to stop the massive bleeding and to save her life. But, tragically, she loses her baby.
Doctors put her into a medically induced coma to help her body heal. Unexpectedly, her heart stops beating February 14, but she rallies, comes out of her coma Thursday, and is released.
Along the way we learn that her husband, celebrity Nik Richie, had penned a touching, endearing, and heartstrings-tugging letter to the son they had lost. Richie asked TMZ to share it. (See below.)
How this letter came to be written is a story in itself. Nik told TMZ after the baby died “a social worker from the hospital, along with someone involved in the religion affiliated with the hospital, came to him and asked if he wanted to know the gender of his baby.”

After saying yes and being told the baby was “a beautiful boy,” he was asked if he wanted to see his son. Nervously, he said yes. “Nik says they asked him to hold the baby while they prayed.”
But “it wasn’t over, TMZ reported. “Nik was then told he needed to name his child so they could fill out a birth certificate. Nik, who was overwrought with emotion, told them he always wanted a son named Rex, so he named the boy Rex Jagger Lamas-Richie. He chose Jagger because of Mick. Nik says he’s glad he got to see his son but it was the hardest thing he’s ever done.”
Here is Nik’s letter:
Dear R.J.,
I’m writing this to say thank you, to let you know how truly blessed I am to be your father. You brought meaning to your parent’s life in a way you’ll never know and you’ll always be in our hearts and thoughts.
I named you Rex Jagger, R.J. You had a name, a family, and a life ready for the taking. I’m realizing that life doesn’t always work out the way you imagine. I’m sorry.
God has a plan for us all. He gave me an amazing son who will always watch over our family. Your saved your mother’s life with your passing and I will never forget how much this means to me, R.J. In family, we sacrifice for each other. You gave your life for us. You showed me how to live.
I need you to know that I held you, spoke to you, kissed you and that you’ll be remembered. You are perfect. You will always be my son. I’m proud you, always. I love, you Rex Jagger-Lamas-Richie.
Dad

Source: NRLC News

No comments: