Friday, October 3, 2014

More than a Mom and Baby


 

Understanding that abortion involves more than a mother and the unborn child



Editor’s note. On September 19, I posted the story, “Men and abortion: ‘Fighting in vain to save the life I helped create’”  The computer techies at NRLC tell me it was read a lot. Good, because the topic was and is immensely important.
MenandabortionThe post was inspired by a somber column written by Tony Perry which appeared the Daily Telegraph’s online section called “Telegraph Men.” (I mistakenly described Mr. Perry as a Daily Telegraph columnist.) This morning the following correspondence arrived in my e-mail inbox. It is reprinted with Mr. Perry’s permission.
Dear Mr. Andrusko,

A friend of mine recently forwarded me the encouraging article that you wrote about the piece I had published by the Telegraph on men and abortion. It truly was an honour.
I thought you raised a good point about the “lethal spiral” that gets established when “everyone assumes” that the choice is the woman’s alone, which in turn leads many men to send “a message of indifference” when an abortion is not what they want.
Sadly, it feels as if the cultural view of abortion as a “woman’s right to choose” has programmed this response into men. When I look back at my own experience, I certainly felt powerless to do anything more than try to gently persuade her to consider life. That sense of powerlessness haunts me to this day (though sharing my story has helped me feel more at peace than I have in a very long time).

I was especially encouraged by the point you made that “even NRL News Today and NRL News don’t give this side of the abortion triangle the attention it deserves”. I wrote this piece with the hope of getting that attention for men by challenging the perception of abortion as a ‘women’s issue’ instead of a ‘family issue’ (affecting women, men and of course unborn children). I also wrote in hope that more men would also share their stories, helping to raise public awareness and, ultimately, shape hearts and minds.

It would be a blessing beyond words if the piece I wrote in some way inspired you and other leaders in the pro-life movement to help rebalance the abortion triangle and frame abortion in this way. If there is anything at all that I could do to help, please let me know.
Best regards,
Tony

Source: NRLC News

No comments: