Wednesday, May 15, 2013

ABORTION


 

Apparently, your clothes make you for abortion!



I still remember what my friend said last summer when she took me out to eat at Wendy’s. I confided in her about how I lost a friend over an argument. That day, I also learned she was for abortion.
“Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes you just can’t trust people, especially when you assume they’ll agree with you. You got to be careful what you say to certain people. Like, I remember when I was talking to this girl saying how much I am for abortion–” she said.
“Wait. Who said who is for abortion?” I asked
“Me,” she responded with ease.
Oh, I thought.
“Anyway,” she said innocently, “I said that I am for abortion, and she started going off at me and yelling, ‘How can you say that?!’ I don’t know. I just assumed she was for abortion, too.”
“Why did you think she would be for abortion?” I asked as I started to dislike where the conversation was going.

“Well, because she dressed like a thug, I just thought she was for abortion, too… because of the way she dressed, but I guess not.”

Wait. What?
Let me understand the “logic” to set it straight: if one dresses like a thug, hipster, or punk, or happens to dress “differently,” then he or she is for abortion. It makes absolute sense.
If I had extreme piercings and tattoos or if I wore all black clothing with spikes, it might be possible that I would be “attacked” for being pro-life just because of the way I looked. Someone might say, “How can you be ‘pro-life’? Look at yourself! Look at the way you look!”
How do outer appearances such as different styles of clothing, accessories, make-up, and other body modifications such as piercings and tattoos automatically determine that people wearing them are “for” abortion?

Isn’t it rude – and in fact, insulting – for people to assume that one is “pro-choice” based on what he or she wears or looks like? Not all people dressed differently think the same way when it comes to the perspectives of abortion. Should people be pressured to conform and comply with rules and other stereotypical standards because of their looks? Why should those who dress a certain way have to follow the mainstream or play along with the dominant trend in opinion of abortion? Clothes and other outer appearances do not speak for people when it comes to opining about abortion. People do not cross any “line” by stating their pro-life stances or doubts about abortion while piling on a pound of heavy jet-black eye shadow and wearing ripped jeans.

I can see why some people questioning abortion may be afraid to speak their minds; after all, so many of them are discriminated against because of how they dress and are automatically stereotyped for wearing tattoos and piercings and dying their hair in “unnatural” colors. People dressed in their own style and fashion should be welcomed and accepted into the pro-life movement without judgment, while people for abortion need to respect and accept the fact that there are people who stand for the life of the unborn child and dare to look different or break traditional gender roles when it comes to fashion.

Just like a woman dressing sexy does not equal automatic consent to sex, people dressing differently or looking like “freaks” does not equal automatic acceptance for abortion. But because we are in a world where we are taught that clothes speak for you, people will automatically assume what you stand for when they take one look at you. It is time to end the stereotypes of those dressed differently as “pro-choice” just based on their looks. Instead of assuming that someone “looks” like he or she is for abortion, why not ask the person on his or her opinion toward the issue and start a conversation?

Source: Live Action News

No comments: