Monday, April 29, 2013

The Rest Of the Story



 
 

 
British media personality sparks debate with IVF horror story
Prominent British writer and producer Samantha Brick has spoken of her devastating experience with IVF in a recent column in the Daily Mail. The article sparked hundreds of comments - some very supportive, most extremely critical.
Brick, a 43-year-old twice-married journalist, has for the last two years been attempting to fall pregnant via IVF. It has been an extremely traumatic time. Commenting on the death of IVF pioneer Robert Edwards, Brick says she never knew what IVF involved:

Irrational as it might sound… I see this eminent professor as unwittingly responsible for the agony I have endured since discovering, four years ago, that my husband and I are unable to conceive a child together naturally.

"If IVF didn’t exist, I believe we would have, eventually, got on with our lives. Instead, we submitted ourselves to the roller coaster of fertility treatment. And our world has been on hold, in a terrible emotional limbo, ever since."

Whilst acknowledging that IVF has brought the joy of parenthood to many couples, Brick says that her personal experience shows how emotionally and physically draining the procedure can be:
"The treatment has failed twice now, and the emotional fall-out remains nothing short of devastating. I am prone to weeping fits and depressive episodes, and I cannot be around pregnant women or young children. I didn’t just suffer during the treatment — I’m still experiencing these symptoms today

Source: BIO_EDGE

 

No comments: