Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Abortion Issue vs The Death Penalty Issue

OK, I'm really mad this time. And let me explain that this is not about whether I am personally for or against the death penalty. I reserve my personal opinion at this time, and am not making a statement on that issue one way or the other. That's not the point of this blog, and that's not what I'm mad about. I'm mad about people who equate the death penalty with the abortion issue, because  it is the most unjust equation I have ever heard!

There was a phrase coined by a recent Catholic Cardinal, "the seamless garment", meant to connect and blend multiple issues with the abortion issue.  How many times have I heard it said that abortion is a "single" issue.  Now, today, a gentleman in my own church told me he refused to support our local pro-life organization; because it was not also including the death penalty issue.  This really has my ire up. 

For those of you who are against the death penalty, that's all well and good, and you're entitled to your opinion; and if you wish you can join an anti-death penalty crusade.  I for one am simply  enraged that this gentleman, in my own church, would refuse to help an organization that fights to save innocent unborn babies, because he feels some convicted murderer's life should be equated with that of the unborn child's life. 


Excuse me! You mean to tell me, that you're going to let innocent unborn babies continue to be butchered and murdered in their mother's wombs, until all the death row inmates have their sentences commuted?

Ok, let's review. A suspected murderer has rights.  He is allowed to be judged in a court of law, by a jury of his piers, with legal counsel at his side.  Even after his conviction, he is allowed appeals upon appeals ... leading up to and including the actual date of his scheduled execution.  On the day of his scheduled execution, he is even permitted spiritual comfort and counsel with a priest or minister of his preference.  He is given choice of his favorite foods for a last meal.  He is also allowed visits from his family and friends, in order to say his goodbyes.  Even at the moment of his execution, he is allowed a final statement of his choosing, by being asked if he has any last words.  All along, he is given ample time to make his peace with society, his victim or victims, his family and his God.  From beginning to end, ample care is taken to assure that all of his rights are afforded him ... more rights certainly than he afforded his victim or victims.  

Now, let's review the unborn baby in the womb's rights.  NONE!   Let's review, the unborn baby in the womb's legal counsel. NONE!  Let's review whether there is a jury to adjudicate the unborn child's' fate.  NONE!   Let's review how many appeals the unborn child has.  NONE!   Let's review who the child gets to say goodbye to.  NO ONE!   Let's review the unborn child's last words.  HE NEVER GOT A CHANCE TO SPEAK HIS FIRST WORDS!  Last but not least ... let's review the GUILT OF THE CHILD IN THE WOMB .... NONE!  THERE IS NO GUILT ... THE CHILD IS COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY INNOCENT!

Whether you are for or against the death penalty, please explain to me how the abortion issue and the death penalty issue are the same, and how one can be equated with the other?    


No comments: